AmericanAncestors.org NEHGS Database Collection Over 200 million searchable names 3,000 digitized collections in 377 databases Principal locations covered Six New England states New York New Jersey Canada England 1 Vermont French-Canadian Genealogy Society 02/22/20 AmericanAncestors.org NEHGS Database Categories 2 Atlases, Maps & Reference Materials
Census, Tax & Voter Records Court, Land & Probate Records Diaries & Transcripts Genealogies, Biographies, Local Histories Immigration Records Journals, Periodicals & Articles Military Records
Societies & Organizations Town Records Vital Records (including Bible, Church, Cemetery & SSDI) Vermont French-Canadian Genealogy Society 02/22/20 AmericanAncestors.org Most Useful Online Databases Vital Records Mass. to 1915 (plus RI 1636-1850) Journals -
New England Historic Genealogical Register (1847-2011) - The American Genealogist (1945 -2011) - The New York Genealogical & Biographical Record (1870-ongoing) - The Connecticut Nutmegger (1968 - 2011) Genealogical Studies -The 3 Great Migration Series - The New Netherlands Connection (NY & NJ) - The Beekman Patent (NY)
- Abstract of Wills (NY) Newspaper Abstracts & Online Newpapers Vermont French-Canadian Genealogy Society 02/22/20 AmericanAncestors.org NEHGS Database Collection 1. Massachusetts Vital Records: Until 1841 all VRs only recorded & kept in towns After 1841 Massachusetts required copies for all town (Boston > 1848) No single complete set of records was found anywhere in the state In the early 20th century, NEHGS undertook the important project of transcribing and publishing the vital records of Massachusetts towns, which provided a valuable contribution to the genealogical field as this series was expanded over the next forty years. Many of these records were saved from destruction. wikipedia.org This collection is called Massachusetts Vital Records to 1850 - allows indexed searches of vital records for 206 Massachusetts towns
Massachusetts State Archives records to 1841 -1916 (online here too) - note: only Massachusetts Registry of Vital Records has records 1916 - present 4 NET: AmericanAncestors.org - only online source of all Massachusetts VRs < 1916 Vermont French-Canadian Genealogy Society 02/22/20 AmericanAncestors.org NEHGS Database Collection Some Other New England Vital Records Rhode Island Vital Records (1636-1850) Index to the records (over 1.8 million names) ACGS Index Of Baptisms, Marriages and Burials 21 churches in New Hampshire (289,402 records) 21 churches in New York (over 120,000 records) Several Massachusetts & Vermont parishes Connecticut: Barbour Collection of Vital Records for CT (~1640 -1870) 25% complete; total =1.5 M names Individual towns & cities
5 MA: Boston + 41 other towns CT: Hartford, New Haven, & numerous towns Vermont French-Canadian Genealogy Society 02/22/20 AmericanAncestors.org NEHGS Database Collection 2. New England Historical & Genealogical Register (NEHGR): Published quarterly since 1847, by NEHGS NEHGR is the flagship journal of American genealogy and the oldest in the field. - wikipedia.org Focuses on 17th and 18th Century New England Emphasis: - Ancestral studies (back to England, France, Ireland, Holland, etc) - Descendant studies moving forward to 18 th and 19th centuries
- Interesting genealogical problems & errors in past research 6 Vermont French-Canadian Genealogy Society 02/22/20 AmericanAncestors.org NEHGS Database Collection There are 176 issues of NEHGR as of mid-year 2012 5-10 articles per quarter in one years issue Typical article references 100 500 names Research is done to the highest genealogical standards Sources are accurately cited This is an unparalleled resource on New England research Online version is every name searchable 7 Vermont French-Canadian Genealogy Society 02/22/20
AmericanAncestors.org NEHGS Database Collection 3. The American Genealogist (TAG): Started by Donald Jacobus, dean of American genealogy, in 1922. It appears as two databases: Volumes 18, covering the years 19231932, are available online under the name Families of Ancient New Haven. Volumes 953+, eventually covering the years 1933present, under The American Genealogist Volumes 1-8 are primarily about New Haven Colony families Subsequent volumes cover the entire country to the highest standards Additionally, a number of journals have been privately published in the past, and a few continue to be. Notable among these are The American Genealogist (TAG), which began in 1922 as the New Haven Genealogist, and the Virginia Genealogist, which will be fifty years old in 2006. - From In Praise of Periodicals by Patricia Law Hatcher, FASG 19 April 2004, Ancestry.com 8 Vermont French-Canadian Genealogy Society 02/22/20 AmericanAncestors.org NEHGS Database Collection 4. The Connecticut Nutmegger
Publication Run: 1968 Present Publisher: Connecticut Society of Genealogists Vital records, probate records, bible records Headstone records, memorials and other useful records Well-documented family histories and genealogical articles, covering hundreds of mainly CT families 9 Vermont French-Canadian Genealogy Society 02/22/20 AmericanAncestors.org NEHGS Database Collection 5. The Great Migration Series Goals: 1. Identify each immigrant arriving in New England between 1620 and 1640 2. Document each life as completely as possible Phases: 1. The Great Migration Begins (1620-1633) 3 volumes, 2386 pages (online) 2. The Great Migration (1634 &1635)
Vermont French-Canadian Genealogy Society 02/22/20 AmericanAncestors.org NEHGS Database Collection Each immigrant is reviewed in a sketch of 4 parts 1. Migration 2. Biographical detail 3. Genealogical detail 4. Comments If little is know about an individual this sketch will contain most details If there is a large record on someone only important details will be listed 11 Vermont French-Canadian Genealogy Society 02/22/20 AmericanAncestors.org NEHGS Database Collection 6. The New Netherlands Connection Goals: 1. Document Dutch immigrants in New York & New Jersey and their origins
2. Help identify New Netherlands ancestors & their descendants History: Begun in 1996 Quarterly issues of about 28 pages Includes transcriptions & translations from Dutch notarial records First 12 volumes in database has over 46,000 names Fully indexed and every-name searchable 12 Vermont French-Canadian Genealogy Society 02/22/20 AmericanAncestors.org NEHGS Database Collection 7. Settlers of the Beekman Patent (Ducthess County, NY) Goals: 1. Document settlers in the original land grant given to Col. Henry Beekman in 1697 2. Help identify the many who passed through on their way west History: Begun in 1990 by Frank Doherty of NY and ongoing Six volumes published so far (4 volumes online at NEHGS) Documents 1300 families settling in the Patent
Covers many Palatine and Quaker settlers from New England Every-name searchable 13 Vermont French-Canadian Genealogy Society 02/22/20 AmericanAncestors.org NEHGS Database Collection 8. Abstracts of Wills, Admins and Guardianships in NY State, 1787-1835 History: 1. Abstracts of Wills & Guardianships from 52 counties of New York 2. Majority of data is from 1787 - 1835 3. All names were indexed on 3x5 cards 4. Every-name searchable 14 (over 850,000 names) Vermont French-Canadian Genealogy Society 02/22/20 AmericanAncestors.org
Search Techniques Overview 1. This website is a collection of databases 2. Most of these databases have their own indexes - which fields were used varies significantly between databases - for example, Year Range and First Name often not used 3. The search function must adapt to database differences - this means searches across multiple databases may not find every article 15 Vermont French-Canadian Genealogy Society 02/22/20 AmericanAncestors.org Search Techniques 1. Keyword Search appears on home page (and at bottom of Advanced Search window) - searches all databases at once - allows use of wildcards & multiple search terms in one line
2. Advanced Search default option when you click on Search tab from home page can input terms in any chosen fields (using fewer fields is normally more successful) allows focused searches therefore more precise pick one database & it will display search tips critical for accurate results 3. Using Advanced Search you can query specific databases a) Global search may miss some databases you wont know b). Indexing is different in various databases c). In 247 of 377 databases index does not have First Name field Result: Often get No record found 4.. Always read the Search Guidance at the bottom of each database query in Advanced Search - it will describe where to put search terms (Keyword field vs Last Name field) - it will cover the use of Wildcard search operators - it may provide special search fields for this database 16 Vermont French-Canadian Genealogy Society 02/22/20 AmericanAncestors.org Search Techniques 5. If your search comes back with no results - try smith, or brown with no first name - if that common a name fails likely a problem with your entry - try Browse option instead of Search look at the actual records 6. The fields under Year Range usually pertain to publication years of journals, etc. - in general, dont use the Year Range unless you have far too many results searching all volumes
- only effective when searching for Vital Records 7. Wildcards: - use of + symbol links both terms in Keyword search (ex. Isiah+Bennett searches for that combination) - all searches are Exact Searches - never use quotation marks (Martha Adamson) - ? matches any single character (where allowed, such as Vital Records DB) - * matches any number of characters (where allowed , such as Vital Records DB - ~~ use of double tilde symbols w/ no space between for date range (1713~~1745) - one character is required before using a wildcard 17 Vermont French-Canadian Genealogy Society 02/22/20
(60+9) (50+8) Partial Quotients (Division Algorithm) Start "Partial Quotient" division by estimating your answer. Check by multiplying and subtraction. The better your estimate, the fewer the steps you will have. 9 876 1. Estimate how many 9's are in 876....
(Opening Slide - Hold to until ASA introduction) GEN Leon Salomon, USA Retired, AUSA Senior Fellow introduces Forum and HON Hammack. HON Katherine Hammack. Assistant Secretary of the Army (Installations, Energy and Environment)
Agefotostock 9-Łańcut. El castillo de Łańcut, en el centro de la villa, es un gran palacio aristocrático que se ganó una fama siniestra en el XVI, cuando lo habitó Stanisław Stadnicki, conocido como el Diablo de Łańcut por su violento...
l'aria col da capo, anch'essa perfettamente connaturata al bisogno di inverosimiglianza che è proprio del periodo storico. Da un punto di vista musicale essa . è tripartita. I . primi 4 versi, intercalati da un ritornello (R) strumentale sono intonati...
Source: OCAS; Applicant Survey (Academica Group Inc.); Student Satisfaction Survey (MTCU) CMEC presentation at ACCC on PIAAC suggests that Canadian colleges result in a much more diverse and inclusive labour force than the OECD college average. We have a larger...
Ready to download the document? Go ahead and hit continue!