How to Prepare for and Present a Seminar (Including a ...
How to Prepare for and Present a Seminar (Including a Research Proposal) Diran Apelian Alcoa-Howmet Professor of Engineering Director, Metal Processing Institute WPI, Worcester, MA
Distinguished Visiting Professor Chemical Engineering and Materials Science - UC Davis Some Advicefor professional life OUTLINE
1. Power of communication 2. General and Specific rules in making a presentation 3. Q&A period 4. Research proposal Power of Effective Communications
Leadership Inspire colleagues Power of analysis and synthesis Simplify complex issues explain Recognition within organization OUTLINE
1. Power of communication 2. General and specific rules in making a presentation 3. Q&A period 4. Research proposal
REMEMBER. CONTENT DESIGN DELIVERY GENERAL RULES
1. KNOW YOUR AUDIENCE GENERAL RULES 2. BE PREPARED - confidence - mechanical issues
- notes/no notes? GENERAL RULES 3. BE ON TIME - slides or no slides? - how many slides?
- remember: Effective is the key word GENERAL RULES 4. HAVE A MESSAGE HAVE A STORY TO TELL
(make sure it is clear to you!) PREMISE Knowledge and know-how determine how well off societies are vis a vis to other societies Education of engineers is critical to every nation to ensure the prosperity of their citizens
Standard of living hinges on our ability to educate a large number of sufficiently innovative engineers Follow the Money ! R&D spending fuels innovation Creation of wealth is related to a nations ability to make products that other nations want to purchase GENERAL RULES
5. TELL THE AUDIENCE WHAT YOU WILL DO DO IT TELL THEM WHAT YOU DID GENERAL RULES
6. NO COMMERCIALIZATION & GIVE CREDITS - co-authors - sponsors - slides borrowed - data
GENERAL RULES 7. LESS IS MORE (BEAUTY IN SIMPLICITY) GENERAL RULES
8. NO JOKES - fine line between being entertaining and unprofessional USE PERSONAL STORIES THAT STRENGTHEN MESSAGE
GENERAL RULES 9. ENGAGE THE AUDIENCE CONNECT WITH THEM GENERAL RULES
10. BE EXCITED ABOUT THE SUBJECT; BE POSITIVE SPECIFIC SKILL SETS SPECIFIC SKILL SETS
1. DO NOT LOOK AT SLIDES/SCREEN LOOK AT THE AUDIENCE IMPORTANCE OF EYE CONTACT SPECIFIC SKILL SETS 2. ATTENTION SPAN OF AUDIENCE
(1/3rd RULE) DO NOT BARRAGE THEM WITH SLIDES SPECIFIC SKILL SETS 3. CLARITY - in writing
- in graphs and tables - color scheme - sentences vs bullets - photos - margins - movies
Times New Roman Arial Calibri Century Gothic Romanesque 1_Romanesque Microsoft Photo Editor 3.0 Photo Reading is Fun!- Percy Jackson and the Lightning Thief The Plan Lesson Examples Essential and Unit Questions TEKS- ELAR Grade 7- 110.19. TEKS, contd. TA TEKS...
Definition of "Older Adult" People with age ≥ 65 years . People 50-64 years with clinically significant conditions or physical limitations that affect movement, physical fitness, or physical activity. Positive improvements from PA are attainable at any age. Those who...
Mill's Analysis. Method of Agreement. X is the . only. factor always present when Y occurs: Therefore, X causes Y. Method of Difference. The only difference between (Y) happening or not is . whether one element (X ) is present....
Arial Geneva Times New Roman Calibri Arial Unicode MS Wingdings MS Reference Specialty Palatino Linotype Comic Sans MS G&R model e2F titel 1_G&R model e2F titel PowerPoint Presentation De standaardfunctie f(x) = gx Het effect van transformaties op y =...
Floor Framing. 2" x 8" Grade No. 2 lumber is for each joist. Joists will be suspended using face-mounted joist hangers. Beams will span the entire width of the garage and be supported using columns underneath each end.